Doctor of Philological Sciences,Senior Researcher of Department of stylistics, language culture and sociolinguistics of Institute of the Ukrainian Language of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine,4 Hrushevskyi St., Kyiv 01001, Ukraine;
Heading: the language of poetry: reverberation of generations
The article proves that elitism and universality, common accessibility defining creative and aesthetic features of Lina Kostenko’s poetic language. Their harmony is created by three aesthetic and creative dimensions: world, national and individual.
World culture in L. Kostenko’s texts reflects by different lingual-and-aesthetic units – images, aphorized statements, quotations. Panoramic linguo-culturally holistic perception of world culture in the poetry of Lina Kostenko represents the dictionary of precedent names. This dictionary is formed by names from the texts of Bible, culture of antiquity, folklore, literature, fine arts. Together they form a holistic elitist-intellectual text, the perception of which presupposes the presence of a prepared, erudite reader.
L. Kostenko’s mini-texts and definitions persuasively reflects the national worldview. That is why they were organically included to the dictionary of literary language, enriched the arsenal of means of intellectual communication as recognizable, emotionally resonant formulas. Today they are actively used to confirm the opinion in various discourses – in journalism, in political rhetoric, in educational, in didactic and scientific literature.
One of the factors of elitism just like as of the common accessibility of L. Kostenko’s poetry is her unique ability to verbalize world and national experience as her own. This feature unites L. Kostenko’s poetics with the traditions of T. Shevchenko and, Lesya Ukrainka.
The accessibility of L. Kostenko’s artistic maxims as units of communication is promoted by knowledge of psychology, mentality of our contemporaries. They determine the correct formulations of poetic definitions. Among the most frequently updated – existential concepts (life, death), moral categories (conscience, truth, truth), feelings (love, sadness), abstract concepts (irony, vulgarity, glory). Many of them have already become formulas for verbalization of both collective and personal intellectual and emotional experience.
Important factor of accessibility of L. Kostenko’s language is its growth from aesthetics, melody and philosophy of national language. Folk words, forms, constructions reflect the natural flow of the author’s thinking.
L. Kostenko’s poetic language is an illustrative intellectual-temporal fragment of Ukrainian literary and artistic language of the second half of the XX – beginning of the XXI century. It combines the intellectualism and emotionality, bookishness and deep nationality, national sensuality.
Keywords: L. Kostenko’s poetic language, elitism, common accessibility, precedent names, world culture, national culture, individual intellectual and emotional experience.
1. Bryukhovetsky, V.S. (1990). Lina Kostenko: Essay of creativity. Kyiv: Dnipro. (in Ukr.)
2. Yermolenko S. Ya. (2010). High aesthetics of Lina Kostenko’s poetic word. Culture of Word. Is. 73. Kyiv. P. 6 –15. (in Ukr.)
3. Yermolenko, S. Ya. (1999). Essays on Ukrainian literature (Stylistics and culture of language). Kyiv. (in Ukr.)
4. Kravets, L.V. (2010). «And somewhere above the edges of consciousness is what is not yet there» (metaphor of Lina Kostenko). Culture of Word. Is. 73. Kyiv. P. 43-49. (in Ukr.)
5. Panchenko, V. (2005). «People have a thorn branch…»: Diptych on the poetry of Lina Kostenko. Kyiv. (in Ukr.)
6. Ponomarenko A. Yu. (2012). «Language is my unbounded wing». Ukrainian Studies. Part 3 (44). P. 51 – 52.
7. Rusanivskyi, V. M. (2001). History of the Ukrainian literary language. Kyiv. (in Ukr.)
8. Skuratіvskyi, V. L. Encyclopedia of modern Ukraine. http://esu.com.ua/search_articles.php?id=51454 (in Ukr.)
9. Siuta, G. М. (2017). Quotation thesaurus of the Ukrainian poetic language of the twentieth century. Kyiv. (in Ukr.)
10. Tarnashynska, L. (2010). Ukrainian sixties: profiles against the background of generation: (historical-literary and poetic aspects). Kyiv. (in Ukr.)