magister of philology, corrector, TOV «Interflex», 74 Nadii Alexieienko str., Dnipro, Sicheslav region, 49000;
Heading: the language of poetry: reverberation of generations
The article deals with the features of word-coalescences in the book of Ivan Iov «Periodic system of words», which is considered to be the most prominent in the author’s work. Ivan Iov belonged to the leading Ukrainian avant-garde poets to the 20th-21th centuries, leaving a significant trace both in syllabic tonic poetry and in experimental poetry (palindromes, graphic poems, acrostic, brachicolons, logogriphs, collage etc.). Ivan Iov was born in 1948 in the village of Kamianka, in the Apostolove District of the Dnipro region in a large family. He graduated from Kamianets-Podilskyi National Ivan Ohiienko University and then worked as a teacher and journalist.
In 1997, he published his most famous and significant collection, «The Periodic system of words», where he continued the traditions of Ivan Velychkovskyi and which became the subject of our research. Particular attention deserves to occasionalisms by the author. In the research book you can identify several groups of coalescences-words, created lexico-syntactical method, on the basis of sued and subordinate phrases, residual phrases (most often prepositions). Also a feature of the creation of neologisms in Ivan Iov is the use of the names and surnames of famous people – friends of the poet, for example, Valerii Basyrov – the editor of this book; Hryhorii Huseinov – writer, laureate of the Taras Shevchenko National Prize; Mykola Zhulynskyi – Director of the Taras Shevchenko Institute of Literature of NAS of Ukraine. In the «Periodic system of words», the coalescences-palindromes (both commonly used and occasional) are also widely represented, which is a decisive feature of the creative manner of Ivan Iov compared with other avant-garde poets. The top of word-formation skill can be considered the poem that gave the collection its name; in it Ivan Iov showed the inexhaustible possibilities of word formation, which in combination with the original author’s style gave us a wonderful example of experimental literature.
Keywords: derivation, coalescences, phrase, sentence, palindrome, avant-garde poetry.
1. Iov, I. (1997). The Periodic system of words. Khmelnytskyi: Dolia (in Ukr.).
2. Korzhyk, U. (2014). Contemporary visual poetry as a literary modification of the Baroque era (based on Ivan Iov’s poetry). Visnyk Lvivskoho universytetu. Seriia filolohichna. Vol. 60(1). P. 219–224 (in Ukr.).
3. Hromiak R. T., Kovaliv Yu. I., Teremko V. I. (Eds.). (2007). Literary studies dictionary-handbook. Kyiv : VTs “Akademiia” (in Ukr.).
4. Polishchuk N. (2012). Visual poetry of the second half of the ХХ – early ХХІ centuries: “The periodic system of words” by Ivan Iov. Aktualni problemy filolohii ta perekladoznavstva. Vol. 5. P. 141-149 (in Ukr.).
5. Ukrainian language: encyclopedia (2004) / NAS of Ukraine, O. O. Potebnia Institute of Linguistic of the NAS of Ukraine, Institute of the Ukrainian Language of the NAS of Ukraine; edit. board : V. M. Rusanivskyi [and other]. Kyiv : Mykola Bazhan Publisher “Ukrainian Encyclopedia” (in Ukr.).