teacher of the department of biblical and philological disciplines of the Kyiv Orthodox Theological Academy, postgraduate of the Institute of the Ukrainian Language of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine
Heading: theory and history of linguistic stylistics
The development of an independent conciliar Ukrainian state and the related processes of restoring historical memory, awakening of national consciousness raised the issue of the functioning of the Ukrainian language in the church, drew public attention to the development of the religious style of the Ukrainian literary language.
Like any other public structure, church communicates at the internal religious (confessional) level and at the external – national level. This leads to the formation and establishment of official-business language communication, operation of documents that have characteristic linguistic-structural (lexical, syntactic, textual) features, different from the usual office work.
The documentation of the activities of religious organizations reflects the following main stages:
– Establishment of religious organizations: statement, charter of the religious community, minutes of the general meeting on the adoption of the statute (regulations) and elections of governing (executive) bodies, a document confirming the organizational and canonical subordination of the religious community, etc.
– Staffing: decree.
– Participation in the Sacraments: Certificate of Holy Matrimony, Certificate of Baptism and Holy Chrismation, Certificate of Ordination.
– Honouring with liturgical and church awards and distinctions. Priests are rewarded with liturgical awards according to the hierarchy of promotion. After that, together with the award, the clergy receive an official document – a Certificate. In addition, there are a number of church awards. Among them are diplomas, orders, medals, which are conferred to lay people who work for the good and prosperity of the Orthodox Church.
– Formal business communication for different needs. According to the classification of S. Gongalo, the documents are divided into:
– by name: orders, instructions,prescriptions, reports, statements, notes, letters, invitations, etc.
– by place of drafting: internal and external.
– by origin: official and official personal
– by purpose: originals and copies
– Confirmation of facts: Reference.
Having identified the genres, structure and functioning of official business communication in religious discourse and analyzed them, we can conclude that these documents do not have a high level of standardization, clear structure and rules of design in accordance with legal requirements. They need a clear classification of documents of religious style, the development of requirements for their design, in general – the standardization and unification of official business texts of religious discourse.
Keywords: official business communication, religious discourse, genres of official business texts, registration of documents.
1. Honhalo, S. Y. (2006). The concept of documents, their vision, methods of recognition and protection. Ostrog: NaU «OA» (in Ukr.).
2. Kotsiuba, N. Y. (2013). Official business text as an object of system-structural analysis. Research in lexicology and grammar of the Ukrainian language (in Ukr.).
3. Musienko (Korotetska), Y. D. (2016). Religious document: questions of definition and structure. Harkiv: Culturology and information society of the XXI century: materials all-Ukrainian. scientific-theoretical conf. young scientists, April 21-22. 2016 (in Ukr.).
4. Order of the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine № 100/5 of June 18, 2015 “On approval of the Rules of organization of record keeping and archival storage of documents in state bodies, local governments, enterprises, institutions and organizations” (in Ukr.).
5. Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine of January 17, 2018 № 55 “Some issues of documenting management activities” (in Ukr.).
6. Prykhodna N. S. Features of confessional style of the Ukrainian language. Access mode: http://dspace.nbuv.gov.ua/bitstream/handle/123456789/36730/10-Prihodna.pdf (in Ukr.).
7. Unified system of organizational and administrative documentation. Requirements for paperwork. Kyiv: Derzhspozhyvstandart of Ukraine (in Ukr.).